Thursday, June 17, 2010

Campness

So....Camp was last week. As many others have said, it was pretty flipping awesome. I met a lot of new people that were great, and got to spend a lot of time with people that I already knew that are pretty great.
The theme was "Live Love". I think one of the biggest things that God pointed out to me was that the little things matter. I pass by people every day who may need someone to talk to, a hug, an encouraging note, or maybe just someone to say hi to them. But most the time, I don't even pay much attention. I get too absorbed in myself and what I want, instead of thinking of others. "A new commandment I give you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this will all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another." John 13:34-35. People will know that I am a disciple of Christ by how I LOVE others. It's easy to just be nice to people and tolerate them, but loving them like Christ has loved me is like "whoa! Hold up! What if I don't really like that person??" He says love your enemies, it's going to be hard, but He'll help you. Ok, so quick story. I met this guy Andrew at Camp while doing the high ropes course. He asked me if I made my necklace and I told him yes, and that I make most of my jewelry. He really liked it and then told me all about his grandfather necklace that he made (it was really cool). So I decided right then that I was going to make him a bracelet. I conveniently brought all my string. :) So I made him one, and I was going to give it to him, and I was like "ANDREW! I made you a bracelet!" He stopped and looked at me and was like, "Are you serious?" "Yep!" "You're kidding!" "Nope!" Then we talked a little more and he looked at it and he seemed so excited that someone thought to make him something. It was pretty great. That's just a little story that probably doesn't mean much to you, but it made me realize that I could change someones life by just showing God's love, not only because they could see Him through me, but because He would do that for me. He would help me pick up my books if I dropped them, He would open the door at the Library cause' a lady has a ton of books in her arms. So why shouldn't I? Love is never taken, it can't be. It has to be given, it's a choice. Love is seen not heard. "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth." 1John 3:18. People will know that you love them by what you do.

Other than the awesomeness of the services and small groups and devo's and service projects, we had some pretty wicked activities. There was the high ropes course, where I told Daniell with two L's how much I love playing drums while on the really high log thing, ran around taking pictures while singing "Hey Soul Sister" with Eric, watched Kelly totally pone the climbing wall while talking to Taylor and Lucas, and did team building stuff with the other girls and Kasey, and went on this huge swing that made me feel like I was flying! Which is something that I've always wanted to be able to do. :) Then I went night climbing with everyone and sang Music Man songs/Wizard of Oz with Eric and Taylor all the way up the wall. And Eric let me go again after everyone else left cause' he loves me so much. lol I love that guy! And he looks exactly like Lucas! I mean, they could be twins! It was crazy peaches lemme' tell ya! Then there was horse back riding, where Philip almost got thrown in the water, and Kelly's horse wouldn't stop eating every plant it passed. lol And then there was rafting on the big bad Ocoee. Which was GREAT! It wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. I did this thing called the bull, it's where you sit on the very front of the boat and hold on to a rope. It was so much fun!! And then I accidentally-on-purpose fell out at the end cause' our guide really wasn't supposed to let us swim or anything, but he let me do it. So I screamed at fell out and was like "help help! I fell out!" and Robert was like, "Oh no! Someone save her! She could drown!" lol It was great. Played some volleyball, 4-square, and baseball with the youth group and Patrick. Gotta' love him. :) And of course we can't forget Alex. The best mountain biking manager ever, even thought unfortunately I didn't get to go mountain biking. But anyway, he talked to us all week and hung out with us. I'm gonna miss all the people on the staff. *tear*

 I'm going to miss everything, our new awesomesauce game "Firesaw", and hanging out with Alex and him making me laugh cause' his laugh was so funny, :) and weird face wars with Patrick, and singing Music Man with Eric and Taylor, and having to remind Andrew that my name is Catherine not Chelsea (he got it right by the last day lol), and walking to the Outpost with Sarah, ;) and going to Mr. Hughes house to clean out his crazy porch and garage thing, and trying to keep Garry from hitting Rabies and Scabies (Mr. Hughes cats) with a shovel, and listening to everyone try to figure out Christopher Luke's REAL name, lol and so many other things! I have to thank Garry, the counselors, the staff, and most of all God, for allowing us to have an amazing week at White Water Express. :)

3 comments:

  1. You forgot about the Muslim! haha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah!! And of course the Muslim that we passed every time we walked anywhere, and we always waved! lol :)

    ReplyDelete